Your path to becoming a commercial pilot

There are many ways to become a commercial pilot. Hartwig Air has approval to conduct:

  • CASA integrated flight training syllabus
  • AD023HA Associate Degree in Aviation (Professional Pilots) (via RMIT University).
  •  Associate Degree in Aviation (via RMIT University) or

The actual steps and timing are shown below, with the costs of each phase shown separately.

Your Commercial Pilot Training Steps

No Obligation Discussion

Chat to our CEO, who has over 13,000 hours experience as an international airline pilot.

Trial Instructional Flight

Recommended, but not compulsory

Choose your course

  • Associate Degree in Aviation (via RMIT University).  Click here to download information on the Associate Degree.
  • Commercial Pilot Licence – CPL
  • Private Pilot Licence – PPL
  • Instrument Rating

Air Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) Theory Course

This is theory training that can be done by the student via online courses or by traditional study methods.  Assistance in theory can be provided on an hourly basis if required.

Air Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL)

The ATPL is achieved on completion of 1,500 hours as a pilot, including operations on certain types of aircraft and in certain conditions.

For detailed costing information for your personal circumstances

Commercial Pilot Course Pricing

  • CASA Training & qualifications

  • $POA
    per course, GST exempt, see below
  • PP: Private Pilot Licence
  • CPL: Commercial Pilot Licence
  • MEA: Multi-Engine Class Rating
  • CIR: Command Instrument Rating
  • FIR: Flight Instructor Rating
  • Design Feature Endorsements

Interested? What to do next

If you would like to explore how to become a commercial pilot, get in contact with us.  We would love to help you understand everything involved, and answer any questions you have.

Funding Options


For the AD023HA Associate Degree in Aviation (Professional Pilots), FEE-HELP is available for eligible full-fee paying students.  To find out about FEE-HELP and if you’re eligible to apply, go to the Government’s Study Assist website.

There is no government loan funding available for other courses at this time.

Student loans

There is a wide variety of student loans available from many financial institutions.  For a comprehensive list, click here.

Private Funding

You can fund the School courses privately by a number of options:

  • Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG).  This involves paying at the completion of each lesson.  This option is available for PPL training only.
  • Lump sum.  You can deposit funds with the School and draw down as you progress through the course.  Re-drawing of unused funds is allowed.
  • Semester payments.  Payment of semesters in advance for private funding of courses.

View our Courses

Explore Our Commercial Courses

View our Courses

Explore Our Recreational Courses


If you are interested in learning to fly for career or recreational purposes, get in contact with us now!

Contact Us